Thursday 1 November 2012

Greylands - Isobelle Carmody written by Tracey Panton


Greylands by Isobelle Carmody

 

Publisher: Ford Street
Publication Date: October  2012

Pages: 189

 Format: paperback

Price: AUD $18.95

Age Guide: 12+

 

Blurb:

 

One wakeful night in the aftermath of his mother’s death, Jack enters a land devoid of colour or scent. Here he meets the tragic laughing beast and Alice, a strange girl with a secret.

Will Jack escape before the terrifying wolvers find him?

Or is he destined to be trapped in the Greylands forever?
Only the cats know...

 

Review:

 

This book really made me look at grief in a new light. The metaphors are really great and once revealed it all makes perfect sense. My favourite metaphor is what Alice carries with her always. I never would have guessed what it was. It was one thing that really had me intrigued.

 

I got so involved with the story that when I reached “The Middle” chapter I remember that what I had been reading was a story within a story.

 

Isobelle has really done an awesome job writing this book. She really deserves a pat on the back for this great book that helps us understand how kids or even young people may deal with their own grief.

 

5/5

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good book, I'll have to give it a go. Any book that can help a child through grief is a wonderful thing and worth reading.

    ReplyDelete