Monday 24 September 2012

Suffocate - A Breathless Novelette

Suffocate - A Breathless novelette

Author - S R Johannes

Reviewed by: Andrea

Suffocate takes us on a trip to a future where the air we so often take for granted is poisonous, and the earth is hot and barren. People have been living in a Biome so long whey have almost forgotten what life was like before. But for Eria, and indeed the entire population of her Biome, today is a momentous occasion. Today Eria's father will take the first steps outside in years, and try to ascertain if they can leave.

But before that happens, there are some secrets that must be uncovered. Secrets that could prove deadly to Eria and her family. Secrets that strike deeper than she had ever imagined.

Suffocate had a relentless pace that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole novelette. There is a well constructed society, and a scary sounding future laid out within minutes, and I enjoyed discovering secrets with Eria about her society and herself. I can't give more plot details without some major spoilers, however I will say that there was enough twists and turns for a full length novel jammed in the thoroughly enjoyable pages!

I sometimes felt (as i do with most novellas/novellettes/short stories) that I would have liked more time to explore aspects of the characters and the story, however what was there had me begging for more. I can't wait to see what will be forthcoming in installment #2

4.5/5


 

No comments:

Post a Comment