Saturday 17 September 2011

Review of The Keepers – Monique O’Connor James

Jess denies God. In his infinite wisdom, he's taken everyone she's ever loved. Moving to the French Quarter was a ploy to erase the guilt she felt for rebuking her faith. Perhaps, if she hadn't met Justin, an angel preoccupied with getting back into God's good graces, and drowning in his hatred for humanity, her plan would have worked.

There was something different about this book which I liked. I did struggle with it at first with it all about God and being faithful to him, but as I continued to read I realised there was more to the book than I first thought.
The book really held me towards the end as I could sense something was going to happen that was going to be life changing, epically for Jess.

The story was about Jess who lost her mother, her father had died a while ago and it was just her and her brother, Jordan left. She decides to leave her family home and her brother Jordan behind to try and start a new life.
Throughout the book Jess faces demons and meets her guardian angels, while she battles with her belief in God every day.

Jess ran into may problems during the story. Dawson, a fallen Angel wanted her dead and had tried to kill her on several occasions throughout the book. Justin, another angel, was Jess’s protector from Dawson and also a fallen angel but not evil and not as fallen as Dawson was.

Vi was my favourite character throughout the book. She was an interesting character, she had her secrets and her personality was strikingly different from Jess. Vi seemed to be a wild girl, but one that had responsibilities and one who seemed to try too hard when she was around Jess by cooking and cleaning for her.  

I could relate to Jess the most as I could feel what she was going through with her battle of faith. Jess was the sort of character that anyone could relate to because people struggle with faith and the idea of God every day.
Rory and Justin had the standout relationship for me because of their closeness and the fact that they needed each other. I got the sense that they were like soul mates and yet they were brothers.

Once I finished this book I felt a new surge of hope in me. This book made me see anyone can be forgiven for their past actions and that friends are very important in life no matter if they are human or in angel form.

I rate this book 4/5

LINKS:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4078114.Monique_O_Connor_James

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Monique-OConnor-James-Author/151581321573144

http://www.moniqueoconnorjames.com/

http://moniquejames.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment